|Mrs. Jennifer K. De Young - Kindergarten (Send e-mail)|
Welcome to Mrs. De Young's Kindergarten Class in the Gold Community at Grand Prairie!
Our 2017-2018 class currently has 22 students - 12 Boys and 10 Girls. I am looking forward to a magical year of learning and laughter with everyone.
Please check our class page often. I strive to keep it updated. My primary communication to you will be through our webpage, emails, or the Remind 101 app. Click here to join our Remind https://www.remind.com/join/9ge8k
OR text the message 9ge8k to 81010.
Every student has a yellow "Take Home" folder that goes between home and school DAILY. Please check this special communication tool every night to see what we are up to each day and for all of our most important news and updates. Send any notes or papers back to us in this same yellow folder and your child will turn them in to my Cinderella mailbox.
Every child will have a yellow fluency reading bag that should go between home and school DAILY. We will use the leveled readers inside each day in class and it will be your child's HOMEWORK to read them at home each night.
I CAN statements are simple sentences designed from Common Core Standards. They are written in student-friendly language. I CAN statements break down learning objectives into actions that students can read, understand and perform. In our class, I CAN statements are posted in a yellow pocket chart and reviewed. This helps students to understand the expectations, become more responsible for their learning and more reflective of their work. Kindergarten Outcome Assessments are created from I CAN statements, which are posted on each assessment. This helps parents and students to have a clear visual of kindergarten expectations, and a better understanding of their childís development and growth.
1st Quarter I canís:
* I can name uppercase and lowercase letters.
* I can say the sound a consonant makes.
* I can quickly read high frequency words.
* I can put letters together to make words.
* I can put words together to make a sentence,
* I can identify the first letter of a word.
* I can break up words into parts.
* I can hear and say sounds that rhyme.
* I can identify the front cover, back cover, and title page of a book.
* I can name the author and illustrator of a book and tell you what they do.
* I can tell how illustrations and words match. I can retell a story I have heard including key details.
* I can use drawings to tell about something that happened in order and how I felt about it.
* I can count objects and write the number to show how many.
* I can write numbers 0-20.
* I can say the number as I count each object.
* I can understand that the last number I said is the total number of objects.
* I can count objects and answer questions.
* I can sort objects.
* I can make a number that is less than ten by putting together two groups of pictures or objects.
* I can participate in discussions of local weather conditions to describe patterns over time.
* I can ask questions to gather information about the purpose of weather forecasting to prepare for, and respond to, severe weather.
1st QUARTER SIGHT WORDS
I, am, a, an, can, at, it, look, the, they, like, see, me
This week in classMonday
E Day - In Class Activities
Brown Bear/Polar Bear Compare and Contrast
Brown Bear Color Assessment
Math Lesson 10 - Hidden Partners in 3, 4, and 5
R Day - Library
We get to check out a book today!
Math Lesson - I can break apart 3.
Writing - Think, Write, Draw
T Day - Music
Math Lesson - Understand and Write the number 0.
Ask your child about their behavior at school. Are they using helping hands and listening ears?
I Day - Technology
Math Lesson - Order and Write 4 and 5
1st FSP Hot Lunch
G Day - Art
Math Lesson - Write and take apart 1, 2, and 3.
Spiritwear Orders Due
Downloads ListEureka Math Parent Tips Module 1 [8/20/2017]
GP September Newsletter [8/31/2017]
Kindergaarten Curriculum Night Presentation [8/22/2017]
Number Writing 1-50 Practice [1/28/2017]
Reader's Workshop [9/9/2017]
Reader's Workshop - Partner Reading 9/9/17 [9/9/2017]
Remind 101 Directions [8/20/2017]
Cool Links10 Little Turkeys
5 Little Gingerbread Men
Addition Story Problems
All About Penguins
Bat Fact Video
Brown Bear Brown Bear Rap
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
Great Minds - Eureka Math
I'm a Penguin Song
Just Dance Crazy Christmas
Learn about Penguins
Nat Geo African Penguins
Pete the Cat I Love my White Shoes
Seasons Song Video
Sight words and short sentences
The Mitten by Jan Brett
Zearn - Home Math Computer Games