|Mrs. Erin Johnson - Kindergarten (Send e-mail)|
Welcome to Mrs. Johnsonís Kindergarten Class in the Gold Community at Grand Prairie!
We aIre going to have a fantastic school year!
Please check our class page often as it will be updated weekly.
Every student has a yellow "Take Home" folder that goes between home and school DAILY. Please check this special communication tool every night to see what we are up to each day and for all of our most important news and updates. Send any notes or papers back to us in this same yellow folder and your child will turn them in to the turn in tray. Take out and keep any other papers home.
Every child will have a yellow fluency reading bag that should go between home and school DAILY. We will use the leveled readers inside each day in class and it will be your child's HOMEWORK to read them at home each night. Also in the bag will be math games and activities to practice for homework. They will be switched out every couple of days. These do not need to come back. Library books can be brought home too, but have your child bring them back every day to use at class. Remember to return on the next library day!
Download the free Remind 101 app to receive free text messages from me for reminders and announcements from our classroom!
Enter this number: 81010
Text this message: @hee42
*** Specials do NOT occur every Mon., Tue., etc.... Instead, they'll fall on a T, I, G, E, or R day. When we're off school, it's a NO LETTER day.
T day: P.E. & Music
I day: P.E.
G day: P.E & Technology
E day: P.E. & Library
R day: P.E. & Art
P.E.: every day! Please have gym shoes at school.
Lunch: 11:15-11:35, then Recess: 11:35-11:55
1st quarter sight words:
I, a, an, can, like, look, am, at, the, they, see, me, it
Please remember to check my newsletter monthly for the focus "I can" statements. The "I can" statements will be on my webpage for each quarter.
"I can" statements were written in student friendly language to target specific learning skills from our common core state standards. Your child will link these statements to learning on a daily basis. When you visit the classroom, you will see them posted on our whiteboard.
Here are just a few of the Learning Targets for Quarter 1:
I canís for Quarter 1:
* I can name uppercase and lowercase letters.
* I can say the sound a consonant makes.
* I can quickly read high frequency words.
* I can put letters together to make words.
* I can put words together to make a sentence,
* I can identify the first letter of a word.
* I can break up words into parts.
* I can hear and say sounds that rhyme.
* I can identify the front cover, back cover, and title page of a book.
* I can name the author and illustrator of a book and tell you what they do.
* I can tell how illustrations and words match. I can retell a story I have heard including key details.
* I can use drawings to tell about something that happened in order and how I felt about it.
* I can count objects and write the number to show how many.
* I can write numbers 0-20.
* I can say the number as I count each object.
* I can understand that the last number I said is the total number of objects.
* I can count objects and answer questions.
* I can sort objects.
* I can make a number that is less than ten by putting together two groups of pictures or objects.
* I can participate in discussions of local weather conditions to describe patterns over time.
* I can ask questions to gather information about the purpose of weather forecasting to prepare for, and respond to, severe weather.
This week in classMonday
August 20, 2018
Kindergarten Curriculum night 5:30-7:00pm
(parents only please)
August 21, 2018
Meet and Greet and Grand Prairie 8:00-9:30am - Bring your supplies and
August 22, 2018
Full day of school
Bring your snack and lunch
August 23, 2018
T day: P.E. & Music
August 24, 2018
I day: P.E.
Downloads ListBeginning of the year packet [8/16/2017]
Box tops sheet [8/18/2017]
Kindergarten Curriculum Night powerpoint [8/22/2017]
Kindergarten High Frequency Words [8/18/2017]
Kindergarten Welcome Letter [8/16/2017]
Words their Way parent letter [8/18/2017]
Elf on the Shelf video
Kindergarten News Video
Super Readers have Fluency Bags and Pointer Power (video)