Dear District 157-C Families,
I hope you are enjoying summer vacation and looking forward to a fantastic 2019-2020 school year!
Teachers, staff and administrators are getting ready for students to return to school through curriculum preparation, professional development, and updates to district technology and buildings throughout the summer. We are counting the days to the first day of school, which is Wednesday, August 21, for Grades K-8 and Thursday, August 22, for Preschool.
Back-to-School Packets are being sent to families on Friday, August 9. These packets contain teacher assignments, bus information and school information, including start and end times.
All students and parents are invited to attend Meet and Greet events prior to the first days to meet staff and drop off school supplies. These events aim to help students feel more comfortable heading into the new school year.
The Meet and Greet schedule is as follows:
- Grand Prairie Elementary School – 8:30-10:00 a.m. August 20
- Chelsea Intermediate School – 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. August 20
- Hickory Creek Middle School – 10:00-11:30 a.m. August 20
- AM Preschool – 9:30-10:30 a.m. August 21 at Grand Prairie
- PM Preschool – 12:30-1:30 p.m. August 21 at Grand Prairie
Parents/guardians are also encouraged to attend Curriculum Nights to learn important information about what can be expected in the year ahead and to gain resources that can help them be successful.
Curriculum Nights are scheduled as follows:
- Grand Prairie (Pre-K – Grade 2) – 5:00-6:30 p.m. August 20
- Chelsea (Grades 3-5) – 5:30-7:00 p.m. September 5
- Hickory Creek (Grades 6-8) – 5:30-7:00 p.m. September 4
To keep track of important dates for each school and the district, visit www.fsd157c.org
to view calendars. If dates and times of events change, the calendars will be updated online.
Heading into the school year, we are excited to announce the topics and dates for this year’s Tiger University for Parents series. This series is a partnership between the District and our Family School Partnership organization, and it aims to help our families become proactive about and informed on real-world topics that will enhance students’ social and emotional development, encourage responsible decision-making and promote respect-based relationships.
All Tiger University for Parents sessions run from 6:00-7:30 p.m. Sessions and dates are as follows:
- District’s Social/Emotional Program Overview, presented by District staff – September 24
- Your Power Project Building Powerful Lives, presented by Tom Kress of HI Esteem Coaching – October 22
- Internet Safety, presented by Megan Brooks, Will County State’s Attorney Investigator – December 3
- Got Your Cape The Kindness Project, presented by Amy Logan, Children’s Author – January 28
To download a flyer of Tiger University sessions, click here
Additionally, our next Board of Education meeting is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. Wednesday, August 21, at the District Office. We encourage parents and community members to be informed about what the Board is discussing and voting on during its meetings. Meeting dates for the academic year can be found here
. Agendas are posted 48 hours prior to meetings, and recaps are posted after meetings.
On behalf of all of our teachers, staff and administrators, we look forward to making great memories with you in the year ahead!
Dr. Maura J. Zinni,
Superintendent of Schools